Dental implants and dental bridges are two common options for replacing missing teeth. While both can restore your smile and improve your oral health, dental implants offer several benefits over dental bridges. In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of dental implants compared to dental bridges, both of which are offered at DrRez Dental.
Dental Implants: What Are They?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of titanium that are surgically implanted into the jawbone. The implant fuses with the jawbone over time, creating a sturdy foundation for a prosthetic tooth. Once the implant has healed, a crown or bridge can be attached to the implant, creating a natural-looking and functional tooth replacement.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Improved Oral HealthDental implants help maintain the health of your jawbone by stimulating bone growth. When you lose a tooth, the surrounding bone can begin to deteriorate, leading to further tooth loss and changes in your facial structure. Dental implants replace the missing tooth root, providing the necessary stimulation to prevent bone loss and maintain your oral health.
- Long-LastingDental implants are a long-lasting solution to missing teeth. With proper care, they can last for decades, or even a lifetime. In contrast, dental bridges typically last between 5-15 years and may need to be replaced over time.
- Natural Look and FeelDental implants look and feel like natural teeth, allowing you to eat, speak, and smile with confidence. The prosthetic tooth attached to the implant is custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of your natural teeth, creating a seamless and natural-looking smile.
- No Impact on Adjacent TeethUnlike dental bridges, which require the adjacent teeth to be filed down and used as anchors, dental implants do not require any alteration of adjacent teeth. This preserves the natural structure of your teeth and prevents damage to healthy teeth.
- Easy MaintenanceDental implants are easy to care for and require no special maintenance beyond regular brushing and flossing. They do not require any special cleaning solutions or tools, making them a low-maintenance option for tooth replacement.
Dental Bridges: What Are They?
Dental bridges are a traditional method of replacing missing teeth that use adjacent teeth as anchors. A bridge consists of two or more crowns that are attached to the adjacent teeth and a prosthetic tooth that bridges the gap created by the missing tooth.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
- Cost-EffectiveDental bridges are typically less expensive than dental implants, making them a more cost-effective option for some patients.
- Quick ProcedureThe placement of a dental bridge is a relatively quick procedure that can be completed in a single visit. In contrast, dental implants require a multi-step process that may take several months to complete.
- No Surgery RequiredDental bridges do not require surgery, making them a less invasive option than dental implants.
- Restoration of Chewing and Speaking AbilityDental bridges restore the ability to chew and speak normally, allowing you to enjoy your favorite foods and communicate with ease.
- No Bone Grafting RequiredIn some cases, dental implants require bone grafting procedures to build up the jawbone before implantation. Dental bridges do not require bone grafting, making them a simpler and less invasive option for tooth replacement.
Been a Dr. Rez patient for around 4 years now. From initially needing a lot of work done to now just regular check ups and cleaning. I can confidently say it's been one of my best decisions. From being a very nervous patient to now quite enjoying my appointment (relatively anyway ha). Currently my therapist is Lilly, very ably assisted by Mel and they couldn't be more encouraging, thoughtful and nice. I get great advice and couldn't feel better looked after. Couldn't recommend more.